[T3] Car Cures Itself...

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Fri Jun 28 05:08:11 PDT 2013

One of our UK club members investigated this carefully on his Type 3, and
found that there can be 'micro-leaks' in the piping that don't leak fuel but
do allow air into the pipes over a time.  He replaced hoses and the pressure
fall-off was greatly reduced.  I assume his fuel-pump non-return system was
still functioning OK.

I've seen figures for the ring main pressure fall-off in a VW manual and
seem to recall a figure of around 10psi even after a number of hours.  That
would assume a perfect system.  These days FI pumps seem to run the moment
you put the key in, and I believe some even do it as you unlock the car.

It won't be long before it uses telepathy to work out that you are about to
leave the house to get in the car!  I suspect some cars already know our
intentions.  Shades of Herbie.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club