[T3] Vacuum retard

Dave Pallo rdavid at rochester.rr.com
Mon Jun 24 17:43:08 PDT 2013

[[[Unfortunately, the Throttle body I'm using is a 45mm without the advance

nipple, so I can't run any vacuum advance, but do I really want to use just

the retard?]]]

On our '72 with vacuum retard, the vacuum retard is what retards the timing
enough to enable the motor to idle. Without the vacuum retard and the timing
set at factory specs - I cannot get the motor to idle down to 850 rpm, no
matter what! Actually - I have to pull a spark plug wire in order to get the
idle down low enough to set the timing. Then when the timing is set and it
all goes back together; I can use the idle speed screw to set the idle speed
- even lower than 850rpm if I wanted to. because the vacuum retard changes
the timing at idle.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the vacuum retard has a purpose once
your foot touches the throttle ;-)

Dave Pallo

'72 Square ~ Elwood

Fairport, NY