[T3] T3 6V Fuel Gauge near mint

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sun Mar 3 09:55:14 PST 2013

Ground the sender wire (under the front luggage cardboard lining) with the
ignition on - if the needle goes up and down properly, it's the sender, not
a sticking needle.

You might get away with removing the sender and gently invert it a few times
to get the float sliding up and down inside the tube, wiping the wires.  If
you do decide to open it up, by undoing the small brass nut on the bottom,
do be very careful with the very fine wire.  It becomes an awkward and
fiddly repair job if the wire breaks. Even being careful, I managed to break
one of my spares.

The mounting holes are not symmetrical - make sure the gasket and holes
match when refitting.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club