[T3] Clock to TacO

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 10:17:27 PST 2013

Brian ... Two things about my current dash instrumentation.

1)  I WANT my "stock-looking" clock in it's OEM hole.

[As I've said before the original clock  mechanism failed in it's early years.

A local jeweler said "I can replace the mechanism with a
battery-operated clock-works."

I insisted on the front face, minute & hour hands, ability to use the
center knob to LOOK and OPERATE just as the original did.
That clock-works is still the car today.  It works.  Keeps perfect
time.  And I'm (mostly) happy.]
This winter, I did buy an un-tampered with 12V clock.  I have NOT put
12 volts to it yet.  What I wish to hear is the CLICK, that tells me
the mechanism has "wound" the spring.  Then I want the clock to
operate; keep time for the "normal" X-number of minutes, as the spring
operates the mechanism.
If it doesn't wind and keep time, Jim may get yet another job. [grin]

2)  I like the bracket idea, under the radio, to hold the sub 3" Tach.
Are you saying, the 3" tach is a VDO product?

Thanks, Jim.
Is it a single wire?
Does the mounting take care of the need for a ground connection?
Is the routing of the tach wire:
A)  through the "firewall"?
B)  through the tunnel?
C)  finding a way to create [or use an existing] an exit hole in the
compartment end, front-end of the tunnel?
D)  Can the compartment "exit hole" use the foot-feed/throttle hole?
Or is the shift plate a better choice?

Just trying to plan the installation.

Thanks, guys.

Gary "Frito" - '69 Variant, FI, MT