[T3] Clock to TacO

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Mar 3 12:23:47 PST 2013

On 3 Mar 2013 at 12:17, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> Thanks, Jim.
> Is it a single wire?

Yes, I believe only one conductor is needed to come from the engine.
The tach will probably also need power and ground, but those can be
sourced from the dash area.

> Does the mounting take care of the need for a ground connection?

Probably varies by maker.

> Is the routing of the tach wire:
> A)  through the "firewall"?
> B)  through the tunnel?
> C)  finding a way to create [or use an existing] an exit hole in the
> compartment end, front-end of the tunnel?
> D)  Can the compartment "exit hole" use the foot-feed/throttle hole?
> Or is the shift plate a better choice?

I don't think there are any easy routes. On a '69 I think the best
way might be to snake the wire alongside the center brake line, but
that's not as simple as it might sound.

Another possibility would be alongside the wires to the starter.

Both are difficult, because what appears to be a simple grommet thru
a panel, actually turns out to be 2 grommets and 2 panels with about
4" of separation between panels. A LONG sewing needle, might be able
to find its way thru.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org