[T3] Heads

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 7 19:02:05 PST 2013

-------------------------

1971 Sunroof Squareback with F.I.- Located in Coastal San Diego County
Student, A.S.U. Mesa, AZ

> From: jadney at vwtype3.org
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 15:08:30 -0600
> Subject: Re: [T3] Heads
>
> On 7 Mar 2013 at 11:34, Adriel Rowley wrote:
>
> > Cleaning up the pad for guests, moving the heads to a different spot,
> > and noticed all had 375 ending part number which is not listed in the
> > Russ parts book. Even more odd is one set has a G and the other a C
> > (from a B F.I. engine), and neither is in parts book. I have another G
> > head, and both G heads do not have the breather ports like Russ said
> > they should have. What is going on?
>
> The numbers you see cast into the heads are NOT the part numbers for
> the heads. They are the part numbers for the castings which could
> have been machined into several different versions of heads in a
> separate operation at the factory. It's important to understand that
> VW had to have part numbers for "intermediate" parts in their
> production process. We never see those numbers listed on our parts
> lists, because they were not available for sale, they were only used
> for internal reference.

Oh! Well, I was going by what Russ told me. He was looking for cores for
my friend and said they were for '72/'73.

Good to know! I knew my 043s where casting numbers.

> The same thing happens on engine cases. There are separate numbers
> cast into each side of the case, but neither number is the single
> number that VW sold a case under.

I don't recall that, but will look when I have it out. I am itching so
much to build another engine! But, have a lot of medical bills to take
care of, so much for Obama Care...

> > Is it correct to use different part number heads on the same engine?
> > Eventually I will have the ability to have two sets rebuilt; I do know
> > I like to at least do one so I can put the ones Russ rebuilt on the
> > shelf for now at least.
>
> It's best to just ignore the casting numbers, as those can change
> with design changes. Instead, look at the features: intake port
> dowell, spigot diameter, internal step, breather port, chamber
> volume, temp sensor boss. Chamber volume is the only one you can't
> see at a glance, but it's still important to get at least close
> within an engine.

All the heads all look the same in that respect except the sensor port.

> On FI engines, the 2 heads will always have different casting
> numbers, because only one casting had the boss for the temp sensor.

Except my 043 heads which one was taped for the sensor.

Thank you so very much!
Adriel