[T3] Heads

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Fri Mar 8 03:05:48 PST 2013

Yes, the 1600 heads I've seen all have the basic 311 101 375 number cast in
them, with C or D - I've maybe seen an A as well, but that may be my poor
memory!  I replaced my camper heads and FI Fastback heads with 'universal'
(043?) ones that have a boss both sides for CHT tapping - only needed for
the F/B. Valve guide wear was beyond spec, and the camper had cracks and a
burnt valve.

The Tom Wilson book on Rebuilding the Aircooled VW Engine gives a list of
what heads are in what engines, and the marking - I think they are all cast
in the face.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club