[T3] Lean Cruise

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Mar 8 21:01:49 PST 2013

On 8 Mar 2013 at 20:42, Keith Park wrote:

> Well, the D jet can apply a super lean condition to light throttle if you
> get the inner stop on the pressure sensor adjusted wrong, and I guess this
> has lunched engines in the past.

Keep in mind that only the 70-1 sensors HAVE that inner stop.

> One thing I CAN say, some of the D jet "experts" get it wrong sometimes and
> Have gaps in their knowledge as well.

We all have gaps in our understanding, and I don't think any of us
know what parameter mapping Bosch used when setting up our systems.
There's plenty of room for educated guesses, but I'm impressed that
the MS system allows you so much control. This clearly gives a lot of
room for trial AND error, but if done carefully it sounds like a
worthy effort.

This is exactly what the folks at GM, Ford, and VW do, except that
they have lots more people, better equipment, more time, and more
money. They also have environmental constraints that they have to
work within.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org