[T3] Fresh Air Vent Stuck Open

David Yaghoubian goob at roadrunner.com
Fri Mar 15 16:56:27 PDT 2013

I'm not sure if the '71 mechanism is the same as the '68, but my squareback
has had the same problem since ~1977 when my sister and I finally twisted
the knobs the wrong way enough times to break the plastic teeth (either of
the knob gears or the mechanism they are supposed to turn) so the knob
basically just spins unless you force it to one side and turn slowly, which
puts enough pressure on the remaining gears to open and close the vent. I
have basically kept them closed since ~1983 when I inherited the square and
just crack a window if I need air. I particularly hate working under the
dash for some reason (inverted bodily contortions/yoga aren't my bag, baby
;) so I have never considered fixing the problem. If you decide to tear in I
would be very interested to hear how it goes!

Cheers,

Dave Y.
68 sqbk