[T3] Fresh Air Vent Stuck Open

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Mar 15 18:07:22 PDT 2013

On 15 Mar 2013 at 7:14, Terry Coldewey wrote:

> The driver's side fresh air vent on my 71 fastback won't close.  The
> cable is attached to knob and the knob turns fine.  Any thoughts on
> how I can start troubleshooting this?  I've had the car for about 6
> months and it has never worked so I don't have any history on what
> might have happened.

Those parts ARE hard to get to. The vents are cable operated and you
MIGHT be able to get a finger on the mechanism behind the knob to see
if that end is working correctly. If it is, then getting to the top
end requires taking out the radio, vent tubes, ash tray, and then the
whole vent/fan box. None of this is really hard, but it's quite a bit
of stuff to work your way thru.

The '71 and '68 are very much alike at the knob end, but completely
different at the other end.

If it turns out that the gears on the knob end are just stripped
(I've actually never seen this happen) then I have complete '71 knob
and gear assemblies. I'm not sure if they would work in the earlier
models, but it might be possible to replace just the bad gears.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org