[T3] Leak under front driver side

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Fri Mar 15 17:34:00 PDT 2013

Could it be the oil separating from the grease in the torsion arm bearings?
I think there are drain slots at the bottom of the axle where the halves
join.

If it's oil-based, it won't rinse off you finger under a tap, but normal
brake fluid will (not silicone fluid though).
The brakes aren't very close to the axle beam, so I can't think of how brake
fluid could appear there.

Is it from the steering box?  The grease in there can also separate and
dribble out over a time.

With a simple fuel tank vent, there is a pipe that ends up near the
left-hand axle beam end - could fuel fumes condense in cold conditions and
drip from there?

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club