[T3] Leak under front driver side

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Mar 15 17:45:40 PDT 2013

On 15 Mar 2013 at 15:20, Jacob Adam Schroeder wrote:

> I have recently noticed a leak under the front driver's side of my 1972
> Squareback.  The fluid feels somewhat viscous and has a yellow-ish tint to
> it. Upon smelling it, it just smelled like everything else on my VW --
> oil/gas/dirt mix.  It is a low leak, but I notice a small pool every few
> days and my garage concrete has an oily look to it under the pool.

Check the brake fluid reservoir. It may be brake fluid. The reservoir
is divided into 2 halves, so if one half is lower than the other
that's your problem. You can also pull up the carpet under the gas
pedal to see if the floor is wet there. Wetness there could mean
either a leak from the master cylinder or from the main line to the
rear brakes being rusted thru.

Both possibilities are common. Either way, it needs to be fixed
before you drive much more. In the meantime, you should top up the
brake fluid reservoir. and let us know what you find.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org