[T3] Small red wire ???

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Mar 17 18:56:39 PDT 2013

On 17 Mar 2013 at 23:32, Daniel K. Du Vall wrote:

> OK I have looked in the wire diagram in the Bentley and am down to one
> small red wire that runs from(I assume) the dash area to the engine
> compartment its not hot with or without the key on and am totally
> clueless what it is or what it might have been for. It's the lone wire
> after removing all the leftovers of the original FI system butcher job
> the last owner did. I am bundling wires and just don't want to forget
> something. I might just leave it there as never hurts to have a dead
> wire that might come in handy some day. But my curiosity is getting to
> me ;-)

Starting in '70, the wiring harnesses all contained one extra red
wire that was only used on FI cars that got an AT. That wire starts
at the fuel pump relay and ends with the oil pressure switch wire.
You can usually see it, cut off inside the sleeve that the OP wire
emerges from. It was cut off on all factory MT cars, but it's a nice
wire for the addition of a tach, if that's in your plans.

Starting in '70, AT FI cars got an electrically heated AAR. That wire
supplied the power at the same time that the fuel pump got energized.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org