[T3] Brakes (was Leak under front driver side)

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Mar 17 20:10:04 PDT 2013

On 17 Mar 2013 at 20:56, Jim Adney wrote:

> On 17 Mar 2013 at 15:21, Jacob Adam Schroeder wrote:

> > (4) Anything else I should be concerned about?
>
> It should not be necessary to remove the master cylinder to check if
> it's leaking. Reach in behind the gas pedal and find the rubber boot
> over the front of the MC. Follow it forward to where it fits over the
> MC casting. Feel the underside of the boot at that forward (front is
> front) end. If the MC is leaking, there will be a drip or wetness
> there. If not, leave it alone.

I should add that another possible leak is from the long hard line
that runs under the gas pedal and along the left side of the hump.
This often rusts thru from water dripping off your right foot. A leak
there is usually obvious from the spraying sound you get when you
press down on the pedal.

Unfortunately, replacing that hard line is one of the worst jobs I
can think of, but you can still get it done in a day. Note that the
lines commonly sold for this are Beetle lines and are about 2" too
short for Type 3s.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org