[T3] RE Type 3 Brakes

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Mar 19 07:05:53 PDT 2013

On 19 Mar 2013 at 13:30, Dave Hall wrote:

> In the UK all hard brake lines must have double flares.  Some couplers are
> not as secure, and not permitted over here.

???

Are you saying that the VWs sold in the UK don't use the bubble flare
that they come with here? Not sure what you mean by secure, are there
styles of couplers that tend to come loose on their own?

I can certainly imagine having a problem with a poorly machined
coupler that won't seal, but, for example, VW used a 2 piece line in
all the Type 4s, putting an in-line coupler exactly where it would do
the most good: between the front seat and the gas pedal. I wish they
had done the same for us.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org