[T3] RE Type 3 Brakes

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Tue Mar 19 16:41:59 PDT 2013

In a message dated 3/19/2013 7:25:36 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk writes:

Double flare goes out and in again - it's probably the same as a  bubble
flare (two countries divided by a common language!).  The end  of a normal
brake line is that.  Yes, some couplers use an olive which  is a compression
coupler and relies on friction with the pipe to stay  together.  I had to
hire the proper flaring tool to add a new bit to  the one piece line on a VW
Polo we had - only the rear bit had rusted, and  removing the whole line
would have been a harder job.  My 'cheap'  flaring tool was OK for copper
but
no good to flare the original steel pipe  for the proper coupler.

Over here, we have a single flare (for copper water lines and such),
double flare (most domestics use these), and bubble flare (which is in  between)
and used on German cars such as our own, and Japanese cars.
We also have people who use compression fittings, although they really
shouldn't be used on cars (but still find there way there). To make a  bubble
flare, you start with a single flare, then add in a "bubble flare tool
insert" that basically rolls the outer edges back into itself (like a double
flare), but doesn't go all the way.

Bob 65 Notch  S w/Sunroof and IRS aka Krusty
64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71 Square-vert  under construction