[T3] RE Type 3 Brakes

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Mar 19 19:52:23 PDT 2013

On 19 Mar 2013 at 23:18, Dave Hall wrote:

> Double flare goes out and in again - it's probably the same as a bubble
> flare (two countries divided by a common language!).

Double flare and bubble flare are actually 2 different things. Both
are used by various makers for brake lines. Here's an image showing
how a double flare is made:

http://www.moparaction.com/tech/archive/disc/24bs.jpg

And here is an image with a double flare and a bubble flare:

http://www.andyz28.com/1lecd/brake%20lines/flares.jpg

and here's a photo of a single flare, a bubble flare, and a double
flare:

http://www.eastwood.com/media/content/images/101_pageimages/brake_line
s2.jpg

I've also seen the bubble referred to as an ISO flare.

> Yes, some couplers use an olive which is a compression
> coupler and relies on friction with the pipe to stay together.

Okay, right. Those are less reliable. It's really not friction, the
compression ring is expected to cut into the tube, but that type of
seal has 2 potential leak paths: under the ring and over the ring.
Fittings with more than 1 seal boundary are forbidden in lots of
things, even though there are fittings that do this very reliably,
like Swagelock. I've used lots of them at work in places that are
much more demanding than brake systems.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org