[T3] Removing master cylinder ...

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Fri Mar 22 05:07:46 PDT 2013

In a message dated 3/22/2013 12:13:10 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jacob.schroeder at gmail.com writes:

(3) I am looking for advice, tools,  tricks on how to reach the second 13mm
bolt holding the master cylinder to  the pan.  I could get one off with an
extension and using a long 13 mm  socket.  The other one is awkward enough
that I cannot get to it.   Every socket combination I have seems to hit the
electrical switches.   My 13 mm wrench might work, but it requires snaking
it in from above (this  would have been much easier if the gas tank was out)
and I just can't seem to  get the leverage I need.  Short of removing the
gas tank, any other  tricks?

(4) For the lines that run from the reservoir to the master  cylinder, it
does not appear they have hose clamps on them.  Did they  originally come
with clamps?

(3A)  Since you're removing the master cylinder for rebuilding, put a catch
pan down  under, and remove the switches. You have already removed the skid
plate right?  If not, do so. With the switches removed, then you can snake
your socket  and extension thru, or use a wrench from the bottom (with the
skid plate off).  While the master cylinder is still bolted in place, I like
to remove the  lines, mainly because they can try to rust in place (the end
to the tube).  Once you have the lines off the MC, and off the calipers, you
could use  compressed air to blow thru them to purge any sediment that may
be inside  them.

(4A) No clamps were used. VW relied on the blue hose fitting over the
barbs on the plastic pieces for a seal. You'll see what I mean when you try to
remove them.
You can replace the front steel lines while everything is off IF you
choose to. Those are pretty easy to do, and get at. The metal clip holding the
hoses in place is the tough job part of doing the brakes anyway.

As for finally using the 11mm wrench, there's a couple more you'll use
depending on what operation you happen to be working on. The 17mm wrench is
one that gets used in a few places. But generally, the 8, 10, and 13mm  are
the most commonly used on these cars.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction