[T3] Removing master cylinder ...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Mar 21 22:42:36 PDT 2013

On 21 Mar 2013 at 21:13, Jacob Adam Schroeder wrote:

> (1) I am pretty sure I do not have the patience/flexibility/fresh
> knuckles/sanity to replace all the steel lines.  Thank goodness the lines
> at least look good on the outside.  Would it make sense to replace just the
> steel lines to the front calipers?  If these are on the same circuit, it
> makes sense (in my opinion) to make sure I have great lines servicing the
> front discs.  Thoughts?

I've never seen one of those front hard lines rust thru.

> (2) 11 mm on the brake lines, seriously?  In rebuilding the engine and
> doing everything else on my car over the last 15 years, it seems most bolts
> are either 13, 10, or 8.  I was shocked to actually use my 11mm wrench for
> the first time.

The good news is that 11 mm = 7/16" so you can use either wrench. If
you don't have them already, invest in a set of flare nut wrenches,
which look like 6 point box wrenches with one flat cut away. The
equivalence above means that you can buy either the english or metric
set, although the metric set is the better choice.

> (3) I am looking for advice, tools, tricks on how to reach the second 13mm
> bolt holding the master cylinder to the pan.  I could get one off with an
> extension and using a long 13 mm socket.  The other one is awkward enough
> that I cannot get to it.  Every socket combination I have seems to hit the
> electrical switches.  My 13 mm wrench might work, but it requires snaking
> it in from above (this would have been much easier if the gas tank was out)
> and I just can't seem to get the leverage I need.  Short of removing the
> gas tank, any other tricks?

You can do this from below. Use a standard box end 13 mm wrench and
just undo 1/3 turn at a time. I don't actually remember how I do
this. You may need to reach over the top of the MC to get the best
purchase on it, but I'd expect you to be able to reach in from the
wheel well easily, once the wheel is off.

> (4) For the lines that run from the reservoir to the master cylinder, it
> does not appear they have hose clamps on them.  Did they originally come
> with clamps?

No clamps, because there is no pressure there. The hose is special,
to be compatable with brake fluid. The rubber and braid is blue.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org