[T3] Removing master cylinder ...

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 21:13:04 PDT 2013

So I've removed my front calipers to send them to Jim and I'm in the
process of removing my master cylinder (to send to Jim).  A few
observations/questions:

(1) I am pretty sure I do not have the patience/flexibility/fresh
knuckles/sanity to replace all the steel lines.  Thank goodness the lines
at least look good on the outside.  Would it make sense to replace just the
steel lines to the front calipers?  If these are on the same circuit, it
makes sense (in my opinion) to make sure I have great lines servicing the
front discs.  Thoughts?

(2) 11 mm on the brake lines, seriously?  In rebuilding the engine and
doing everything else on my car over the last 15 years, it seems most bolts
are either 13, 10, or 8.  I was shocked to actually use my 11mm wrench for
the first time.

(3) I am looking for advice, tools, tricks on how to reach the second 13mm
bolt holding the master cylinder to the pan.  I could get one off with an
extension and using a long 13 mm socket.  The other one is awkward enough
that I cannot get to it.  Every socket combination I have seems to hit the
electrical switches.  My 13 mm wrench might work, but it requires snaking
it in from above (this would have been much easier if the gas tank was out)
and I just can't seem to get the leverage I need.  Short of removing the
gas tank, any other tricks?

(4) For the lines that run from the reservoir to the master cylinder, it
does not appear they have hose clamps on them.  Did they originally come
with clamps?

Thanks,

Jacob