[T3] engine info

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Mar 22 16:14:55 PDT 2013

On 22 Mar 2013 at 18:27, shawn wrote:

> Hello from the SNOWY state NY. I am going to be building a stock 1600
> soon. i am looking for advise. Where to buy parts from, or if I should
> buy  a kit from someplace like cip1?

Reuse as many of your OG parts as possible. If you don't have old
parts to reuse, see if you can find an untouched core engine for
parts. Understand that almost nothing you buy today will be as good,
unless you're willing to spend big bucks.

There are a few things to be extra careful about: exhaust valves, cam
lifters, & cams. Consider some upgrades that will give improved
reliability: balanced drive train, full flow oil filter,
counterweighted crank, careful valve job, ported heads.

Buy and study this book:

How to Hotrod Volkswagen Engines
by Bill Fisher
published by H. P. Books, Tucson, AZ, 1970
ISBN 0-912656-03-4
(excellent book, well written and researched)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org