[T3] temp gauge

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sun Mar 24 11:13:27 PDT 2013

In a message dated 3/23/2013 11:17:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rdavid at rochester.rr.com writes:

And you can't convince me it does not apply to you either Bobnotch,  as you
have absorbed so much VW knowledge over the years that YOU are a  strong VW
resource for many of us here. You dig into anything and  everything and are
not afraid to tackle projects that would send most  people running the other
way. I don't understand why you don't want to know  info about your motors
when it is so easy to add gauges, but I guess it's  different strokes for
different folks. and so on and so on and scoobie  doobie doo-bie. ;-)

Well, like you said, I tear into everything when I do a car. That means I
make sure the cooling ducts are clean, the under the cylinder tins are nest
free, the pad on top of the oil cooler is in place, and all of the engine
tins  are in place. I also go thru the entire fuel system, and brake system.
Like I  tell people, I don't build show cars, I build drivers. Sometimes
those drivers  do attend a show though. ;-)

You also have to remember, these cars were built for use anywhere in the
world, and sold that way. They never really got a "special" package for any
part of the world, but rather shortened maintenance intervals, or different
recommendations on fluids, depending on the areas "extreme", whether it
was sand, snow, 100+ degrees, sub zero temps, or anything in between.

Yes, some of my other vehicles do have "instrumentation", but they're  also
water cooled. And most of those gauges run in an "average reading" mode.
My friend always insists on putting in a second set of mechanical gauges, to
go with the electrical ones. His reasoning is that the mechanical gauges
are  closer in their readings, and more accurate. However, when you go for a
drive,  both sets are reading the same, or with 3 psi, or 5 degrees of each
other. :O  I think a lot of that is because the 2 sets of gauges are taking
their  readings from similar spots on the engine.

I do like gauges, but in some vehicles it's not really practical, due to
taking away from being "stock". But I've found that listening to the engine
tells me a lot more that the gauges tell me, as they're mostly a reference
reading, rather than really telling me what's going on.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction