[T3] temp gauge

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 24 20:08:49 PDT 2013

-------------------------

1971 Sunroof Squareback with F.I. - Located in Coastal San Diego County
1985 Mercedes-Benz 300TD-T - Dog Wgn
Student, A.S.U., living in north central Mesa, AZ

> From: Bobsnotch at aol.com
> Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 14:13:27 -0400
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Subject: Re: [T3] temp gauge
>
> I do like gauges, but in some vehicles it's not really practical, due to
> taking away from being "stock". But I've found that listening to the engine
> tells me a lot more that the gauges tell me, as they're mostly a reference
> reading, rather than really telling me what's going on.

Bob, I agree with you and only had a pressure gauge because I just built the
engine and wanted to know more about it and what weight oil to use. I rarely
looked at it, mostly just checked it on cold start-up and hot shut-down. Once
I know what is what out here most likely just remove it as you are right,
there is no good spot for it. Though high pressure is better than low.

However, how do you tell by noise when an engine is seizing? I couldn't but
not an expert like you. ;p

Thank you so very much!
Adriel