[T3] A noise I've never heard

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Tue Mar 26 08:15:48 PDT 2013

In a message dated 3/26/2013 10:32:55 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
keen_tj at hotmail.com writes:

I've had inner fan shroud bolts work loose before, and make that
distinctive stone-in-the-lawnmower racket.  I know that noise.  This  is not that
noise.  But it could be similar?  Like the fan  rubbing/striking something
stationary, as opposed to little pieces flying  around in there?
Listening to idling engine with a dowel, I cannot  really locate the noise
to the fan shroud.  But I'd be thrilled if this  noise were fan-related, and
not internal!

Anyone wanna justify a more dire diagnosis, like 'this noise  is certainly
a cooked bearing, stop at once!'  ?

It sounds like the bearings in your generator are starting to fail. A
quick and easy way to know for sure, is to remove the belt, and run the  engine.
It sounds similar to a rod or main bearing, but not like the screws  coming
loose in the fan shroud.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction