[T3] A noise I've never heard

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Mar 26 11:52:42 PDT 2013

On 26 Mar 2013 at 7:32, timothy kuehn wrote:

> I have an engine-area noise.  High-pitched, non-percussive, seems like
> more of a rub/scrape than a knock/slap.  But rhythmic and quick, so it
> sounds knockish when you first hear it.

My first thought was loose fan housing screws, but it sounds like
you've eliminated that. Is it a "tinny" sound, like something related
to sheet metal? It could be a loose piece of cooling tin, or just one
end of a stock muffler heat shield.

Listen to the generator, at the ends, for bearing noise. You can also
get a sort of chirp/squeal from dirt built up on the generator pole
pieces that the armature rubs against. I wouldn't expect belt squeal
to fit your description.

Rod bearings that are going make a noise, but that's a deeper sound,
like you said. I don't think you'll hear anything from a main bearing
that's going, but you might check to see if there's an excessive
amount of end play in the crank. (Watch the pulley while someone
depresses the clutch, with the engine running.)

There's some sort of sound that comes from a loose flywheel, but I've
never heard that one, so I don't know how to describe it.

Would it be a loose head? (Pulled head studs?)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org