[T3] Electrical Cable

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Mar 31 09:26:57 PDT 2013

On 31 Mar 2013 at 4:21, Paul Taylor wrote:

> In reinstalling the driver's seat in my 1970 Fastback, I must have
> disloged two electrical cables that run alongside the centre console
> and have now come loose. One is from the front of the car, running
> towards the rear but ends near the gearbox (mine is Auto) in a
> connector. The other runs from rear towards the front and also ends
> near the gearbox, again with a connector.

Hi Paul,

I didn't catch the Aussy location, so I was puzzled by why these
wires would get disturbed when you removed the driver's seat. Thanks
to Dave, now I understand.

I suspect Dave is right, that you mean the gear selector lever rather
than the gearbox. There is a switch under the lever cover, called the
Neutral Safety Switch (NSS.) Only AT cars have this. On your '70,
this keeps the starter from running except in N. Your 2 wires
probably connected to the 2 sides of this switch.

If the wires are red, they are the ones that operate the starter. If
they are a different color, they operate the backup lights. Both go
to the NSS.

To reach the switch, you have to get the plastic cover off the
selector. This is tricky, because there are 2 lights under there that
will keep this from coming off, and if you force things, you'll break
the plastic piece that has the PRND21 label on it.

Sorry, but I don't remember the details of how to get this apart
safely. First you must remove the shift knob and the 2 screws that
secure the cover then carefully work the cover upward. The 2 lights
face upwards but forward and rear at angles, so they don't come out
easily. It may be necessary to undo them from the PRND21 label to get
clearance. If so, you would only have to remove one. They undo by
rotating 1/4 turn CCW (or CW as viewed from above.) At some point it
will also be necessary to disconnect some of the lighting wires to
allow the cover to come completely free.

It's a real fiddly bit to take apart and get back together, but it's
possible to do it without damage if you're careful and don't get in a
hurry.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org