[T3] Fresh Air Vent Stuck Open (Terry Coldewey)

Phil Hof phil.hof at ostronic.org
Sat Mar 16 08:55:44 PDT 2013

It may not be the controls.  When I took my air box out to fix the fan inside, I found the flaps had fallen out of the hinges, and the foam parts that make it seal had peeled or fallen off the door area.  I used rubber cement and a couple of different thicknesses of foam (sheets and sticky tape) from the hardware store, and got it working like new again.  The little rubber/stud mounting parts were also shot.  I also put somer Bosch grease on the gears and detent, so they would work smoothly.

Actually, for several years it hadn't been passing air well or sealing 100%, so I think it had deteriorated all that time until it finally fell apart and wouldn't open or close.

It's a chore, but try taking the box out, and rebuild it.  It may solve your problems.  A few pics:

[img]http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/461124.jpg[/img]
[img]http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/456822.jpg[/img]

-Phil