[T3] Gauges...

FE Meek ftalker at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 21:06:48 PDT 2013

Hi there
I use several VDO gauges for my 2110cc square, oil pressure, oil temperature, cylinder head temperature, voltmeter, ammeter and tachometer.  I do not use the stock oil dip stick so I drilled and tapped the cover plate on the case and installed one of the two senders I use here.  The other is a dipstick sender, in a T-1/2 placement.  Both senders run to a double throw, single pole 15A switch at the dash for a final run to the gauge.  The cylinder head sender is on the number three upper case stud, (exhaust), not on the standard spark plug thread.  This is perhaps off by some degrees, (cooler), but it is a reference only as the range of acceptable temperatures is great.
While I don't advocate for the universal use of all of these instruments for everyone, I find my travels more informed, my tunes more accurate, my drives more fun.

> Gene Berg has a bit of a rant about how poorly calibrated the temp
> sensors were. Since he couldn't find any brand that was reliably
> accurate, he refused to sell any.

I think Gene was a very innovative cat, but like all innovators he had his quirks.  This was one.  He knew very well that gauges are never scientifically accurate, but that a dependable reference could be invaluable.  He recommended and sold a dipstick idiot light for oil temps.  More accurate? Really?  Does it tell you that it's getting hot?  Or, that it's already there?  Perfect.
I disagree with him on his recalcitrance here, (I suspect there were other reasons for his dislike of the gauges...like competitive pricing).
And, a few other of his opinions were equally bizarre and under-informed...about T-3's, for instance, such as his warning about running any jugs bigger than 88's in them...ridiculous.  As soon as I get home, I will be able to send pictures of my gauges installation and the senders for same for those interested.  Send me a PM for these.
Hope this helps.
Best regards,
FE Meek

Sent from my iPad