[T3] RE Type 3 Brakes

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Wed Mar 20 04:20:13 PDT 2013

In a message dated 3/19/2013 10:05:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

On 19 Mar 2013 at 8:32, Jacob Adam Schroeder wrote:

>  Just out of curiosity, what is it that makes this job so hard/difficult
on
> our Type 3s?  Does it require any special  tools/skills?

The hard part is getting the line connected at the rear  end. There's
a Tee there that VW installed before they dropped the body  onto the
pan. This job would be pretty easy if the body wasn't in the  way.

And IF you have an early car, that rear line section has to pass thru 2
layers of steel (with a grommet on each layer, like my 64 has). The later cars
 only have 1 layer to pass thru, but it's still quite difficult getting to
the  "T" back there as you're limited on working space. I sometimes unbolt
the "T"  from it's tab, just to make things a little easier. ;-) Then once
the line is  attached tight to it, I'll bolt it back on. This is just
something I learned  from doing a couple of them over the years.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction