[T3] Dump Day

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Sun May 5 17:07:47 PDT 2013

Ill have to look into one of these.

My batteries usually die a couple weeks AFTER coming out of hibernation, and
yes, I use a trickle charger to keep them happy during the winter.  This
time the cell went bad without warning, I drove it a couple days before
without problem.

Sometimes my car is loaded for days at a time on the long trips...
fortunately nothing has ever gone wrong then but I think its time to put a
cutout on it somewhere.

Thanks

Keith

SCCA race cars are all required to have an easily accessible (from
the outside) battery cutoff switch, so track workers can disconnect
the battery easily after any accident. They are a rotary switch that
mounts on a panel, with the "knob" on the outside and the wiring on
the backside of the panel. I'd expect them to mount somewhat easily
on the back seat kick panel, if that's what you wanted.

If you're interested, I can find out where to get these.

While you're right about the problem, there are some easier
solutions:

1) Make sure your car will start BEFORE you load it up.  ;-)

2) Buy one of the little Harbor Freight battery maintainers. They
cost less than $10, but you have to have AC power available to run
them. I bought one of these for the car that sits in the garage all
the time. It works great.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org