[T3] Top Dead Center

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sat May 11 07:22:26 PDT 2013

In a message dated 5/11/2013 12:00:14 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
cscsheridan at gmail.com writes:

After thinking this through a bit more, you probably can't ignore  the notch
position.

However, As everyone on this list will confirm,  the type 3 has a unique fan
pulley, so all type 3 pulleys likely just have  the one set of notches which
should be at the top position to be  correct.

Yes there is an off chance that you have a hi performance cam  in there
that would account for the Notch repositioning but I wouldn't bet  on it
yet. Is there any evidence of mild street performance enhancements?  Did it
have an 009 distributor on there when you got it? Also there is a  remote
chance that they once made an aftermarket type 3 fan pulley, but  I've never
heard of one.

Well, a couple of things to think about.
The type 3 engine shares most of it's longblock components with a type 1.
This means you can literally remove the type 1 cooling arrangement, and
replace it with type 3 parts. I've done it, and even have the engines in the
cars. The big issue you'll run into, is the distributor drive being off in
it,  that won't allow the vac can to clear. This was the main reason for VW to
 re-index the drive. On a bug, bus, or t-14 Ghia, the vac can is toward the
 rear of the engine (front is front).

As for pulleys, there were several different styles of type 3 pulleys  used
over the years. The very early ones were actually smaller in diameter
(used up thru 62), then they were "re-sized" to the normal size we're all used
to. But the early pulleys (used to 67) never had a "0" or TDC mark. They
only  had 7.5, 10, and 12.5  degree marks. :O  My 64 T-34 engine has 1 of
those on it. When FI arrived, VW added the "0" mark, and later added a -5
degree mark. Those 2 marks shouldn't be confused, as they'll effect how the
engine runs. However, I haven't seen a "re-popped" or aftermarket version, and
I've been involved with type 3s since 1989. Also keep in mind that the
pulley  is dowel pinned to the big fan. And the fan is keyed to the crank, just
like a  type 1 engine. IF all the parts are assembled correctly, they'll have
the same  TDC point.

Most people install an 009 on a type 3 engine, when they remove the FI.
This is because they were "told" it was better (it's not) by the shop or Muir
book. . But the main reason for using the 009 on a "carb swapped" FI
engine,  is that most aftermarket carbs don't have a vacuum take off for the vac
advance. This isn't a "performance" mod, but rather someone who couldn't fix
 the FI (years ago, carb kits were actually sold to replace the FI), and
finding a good mechanic that knew how to work on it back then were few  and
far between. Also, parts were very limited back then. But, sometimes  the
009's capacitor would interfere with either the generator, or the fuel  pump,
limiting the amount of advance the distributor could give. So, people  would
get creative in how they were wired (plug wire orientation), since  the 009
didn't have the 3* retard on cylinder #3.

Just a few observations. YMMV.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction