[T3] Chris's Mentor

Chris Sheridan cscsheridan at gmail.com
Wed May 8 14:45:52 PDT 2013

all i can tell you is that when i used chris' method the distributor gear
slipped right into place with the distributor drive gear at a perfect 60
degree angle. as i mentioned earlier the spot is about 24 degrees to the
right of the mark on the pulley but the engine starts right up.? i am still
puzzled what i should use as the correct timing for this engine, it has a
later pulley but so what?? thanks kk

Hi Ken, what you describe is exactly what I experience every time I have
set my valves using this method. The 24 degree difference you describe is
typical when using this method.

An important final step when you are at that point, when you have used the
method I described to find TDC for no.1 and see that notch on the pulley is
24 degrees off, is to reach down through the inspection hole and put a spot
of White paint or White out at 12 O'clock on the Pulley. That paint spot
then becomes your new 'notch' for timing purposes.  From now on you're
timing to the Paint Spot rather than the Notch.

That is all you need to do to then time your motor with a timing gun, if
you have a type 3 whose timing is set to Zero Degrees TDC per the manual.
If your model is timed to 5 degrees before or after TDC, you can turn the
knob on your timing gun to dial the right spot in.