[T3] Re/ Brake Hose Bracket etc

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Nov 1 19:05:01 PDT 2013

On 1 Nov 2013 at 15:41, J. Jonik wrote:

> Good to know about possible flaps inside brake hoses causing
> problems.  One thing though:  Is it likely that more than one hose
> will go flappy inside at the same time?  That is....car pulling to one
> side or the other during braking ought be a symptom of interior
> flaps.  Yes? No?

The flaps tend to act like one way check valves, so there's typically
no problem in applying the brakes, since there is LOTs of pressure
available from the MC to get fluid to each wheel. The problem comes
when it's time to release the brakes and the flaps keep the fluid
from flowing freely back.

Another thing to check, when you're considering brake problems is
whether one drum/disk ends up a lot hotter than another, especially
after driving without braking for awhile. Of course, you also have to
consider the possibility that you have a frozen caliper (common) or a
misadjusted pedal stop (not so common, but trivial to check.)

> [PS:  This can be part of yet another chapter for a repair manual...by
> someone...for OLD T-3s.  The regular books don't say nothin' about
> what to do about rusted, frozen nuts, or electric wire deterioration,
> about maybe weakened grounds due to rust or corrosion, hardened or
> rotted rubber, rust in and around axle beams, seized or tight
> calipers, getting clocks working right, getting clutch adjustment
> wing-nut loose, using new technology (at the paint shop) to get the
> color to match 40 year old paint, and...well...we all know the rest. ]

Sure, there are lots of things that you will pick up from experience.
They would all make a good book, but you'll learn them from this list
and they'll stick with you for the rest of your life, and be useful
with almost any car you ever own.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org