[T3] Throttle Valve Switch

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Fri Nov 8 14:37:13 PST 2013

On 8 Nov 2013 at 13:16, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> The car only has 77K miles
> on it when the lady who drove it thrown a rod in 1980 due to lack of oil.
> Can they wear out with that few of miles?

That seems rather low mileage. Go ahead and remove it from the car (2
screws, then pull) and pop the cover off. There are some delicate parts
inside, but you can go ahead and clean the contact track carefully. Just
don't bend anything.

Use my faq to adjust it when you put it back on, or check it with an
Ohmmeter when you've got it apart. The thing that goes wrong with them is
that they get worn in the contact track such that one of the moving contacts
can short between 2 of the interlocking contact fingers (you'll see them
when you open it up.) The brain expects contact with only 1 at a time, so
contacting 2 at once "confuses" it, and the FI shuts off. Thus the miss.

This could happen with any of the '70-3 TVSs, but I've only ever seen it in
the '72-3 version. I don't know why the '70-1 versions seem to be sturdier,
but replacements for the '72-3 version have different
(better) internal construction.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

We'll do Jim. But for this weekend I'm finally going to do some serious
driving in her now that I got the oil pump and axle seal leaks fixed. Plus I
have been soooo busy with things both at work and home. Hope to have some
fun time with the wife looking at the fall colors in it maybe even a date
night like the old days.

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI MT
Rainsville, AL