[T3] Introduction of a newbie to the world of the Type 3

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Fri Nov 15 06:45:59 PST 2013

Hi,

My name is Matt P and I am new to this list. This list seems to be full of
very knowledgable people, kind of like the MG list I have been part of for a
very long time. So, here is a little about the and the Squareback that I
have taken in as a project for me and my son.

I have been dabbling in the car scene since I was in school. I have
maintained and repaired just about every car I have had my grubby hands on.
Cars that I have been in possession of are as follows: 1979 VW Bus, 62 VW
Bus (no engine and removed from my possession while I was on a trip to
Europe in high school), 1982 Nissan Datsun Sentra, 1993 Hyundai Excel
hatchback, 1993 VW Passat VR6 GLX, 1976 M.G. Midget, 1985 Olds Delta 88
Royal, 1978 M.G. Midget, 2001 Chrysler Sebring LSi, 1965 Ford F100 (still
have), 2006 Toyota FJ Cruiser (the reliable car), 1995 Crapsibishi Eclipse
GS (p.o.s. work commuter) and now, a 1971 VW Squareback.

This Squareback has been converted to carbs. Two owners ago, they decided to
street rod it and chopped the roofline 3 1/2 inches. I know that this may
turn off the purists, (kind of like people on the MG list talking about
coils suspension vs Armstrong lever arms) however this is what I have and it
did not cost me much and my son loves it. The wiring is atrocious. Pleas be
advised that there will be plenty of questions in the future from me about
what does what. I have the Bentley Book on the car, but there are 6 pages of
the chassis section that are missing. (May be asking for scans int the
future)

The engine did run, however there was no throttle response. Seemed to run
wide open. I am thinking the carbs need work. Also, there is an electric
fuel pump wired up to a toggle switch. I am thinking that the fuel injection
relay could be a better place to run this off of, since it serves no purpose
any more.

I live in a place called Yuba City California. The only other square back I
have ever seen in this area was my brother in law's from about 15 years ago.
I have not seen one since.

I will be asking for photos of the way things go together. Dash layout,
etc...

So, there is my introduction.

Matt P
A new owner of a challenging Squareback Project.

Sent from my iPad
I'm late in the game here but welcome.  I see you have an old Ford truck.  I
have a 67 F-100 that is as the guys here say on the dark side.  You can go
on my you tube channel and there are all kinds of videos on the build of it
and my Fastback.  My user name on you tube is dad23boys.

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI MT
71 Std Beetle (middle son's car)
88 Golf (oldest son's Car)
67 F-100 (with guts of Crown Vic police interceptor)
Rainsville, AL