[T3] STUMPED!!???

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Nov 15 17:36:07 PST 2013

On 15 Nov 2013 at 20:24, Keith Park wrote:

> Hmmm, did the resistor in the rotor open up with heat, still, if it just
> opened a small gap I would suspect it would have been able to jump that.
> Maybe there is a crack in it allowing it to ground out that is very small,
> too small to see, and that opens up with heat.  Is the carbon brush in the
> Cap OK?

The resistor does not appear to be open, and if it opened with heat
it certainly would have passed the current if the gap was less than
1/4". Remember my rotor of a few years ago that had a burned out
resistor, that I fixed by packing in a wad of alum foil. That gap was
more than 3/16".

A crack would still be a crack if it was closed up and small, so it
should still allow a spark to jump thru.

The carbon brush was fine.

The only thing that make sense is that the available spark voltage is
largest at idle, so that's when the stress on the insulation is the
greatest.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org