[T3] FI to Carb conversion

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sun Nov 17 15:21:36 PST 2013

In a message dated 11/17/2013 5:21:35 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
gbforsmo at gmail.com writes:

On 16 Nov 2013 at 10:10, Terrie Ann Schmearer wrote:

>  The time has come. My '72 T3 1600 Fastback is going to be converted
>  from FI to carbs. Didn't think I'd ever do that. However, I haven't
>  been able to drive it for over a year and we've put around $6000 in
>  repairs in it and it's time. My (new) mechanic has been speaking to
>  other classic VW mechanics who have all said to convert.

Jimmy  --

I am one of the "staunch defenders" of the Type 3 Fuel Injection  system and
a "hardcore Type 3 fan
on this list who swear by the  FI".

Reading the comments of those knowledgeable members who have been  involved
with the difficulty of a FI-to-Carbs Conversion, I would not be  eager to
encourage Terri to go down that road.  Conversely, I would  encourage her to
find a way to fix the FI system.

Well, I'm not a "staunch defender" of the FI system like Gary, Jim,  or
Keith are. In fact, I'm probably more of a "dark sider" here.

When my 70 Notchback had an FI issue (I installed it when I rebuilt  the
car), I didn't think twice about converting it to carbs. I used the CB
Performance Weber ITC kit when I did mine. They come complete (minus a fuel  pump)
with correct jetting, and everything needed to swap it over, including a
detailed set of instructions for installing the kit. It costs a little more
than most of the other ICT kits out there, but the completeness and
installation instructions made it more of a plug and play set up. I got about  1
mpg less with them on the car, and it ran great with them installed. I think
it took me all of 3 hours to install them, and that includes removing the
FI stuff (I unplugged it, versus cutting stuff). : )
I also talked with both Jim, and Russ, trying to figure out what my  issue
really was with the FI, as I had spent DAYS (2 weeks) running all  of the
different tests with the system, including having a new FI wiring  harness
made for it (a little more than the carb kit cost :O).  Eventually, I found
that I had a bad VR once I had reassembled the FI. I'm  told that the next
owner of the car did swap to carbs on it as well, as he was  having an issue
with the FI too. :O

Ideally, what you'd like to replace the FI with, is a set of Solex  32
PDISTs, from a 67 type 3. They're out there, but most need rebushing and
rebuilding before they can be used. They do have the advantage of having a  fresh
air supply to the air cleaner, which the Webers don't have.
If you can't find them, then I'd go with the CB Performance kit.  I'm
currently running it on my 71 Square-Vert (topless T-3, with a folding
convertible top), and my son has a set of them on his 65 Squareback Roadster.
In fact, the set I'm running on my Square-Vert, is the same set  that I had
previously used on my 70 Notch (4 years prior), and I just bolted  them on,
pulled the rags I had in the throats (to keep stuff from falling  inside
them, since they were in storage), and replaced the older fuel hoses  with new
hoses, along with installing a low pressure electric fuel pump (I  used the
Mr.Gasket brand S042 pump). That's it. The tired old engine fired  right
up, and runs great, something it had never done when I had the FI on the  car
for the previous 4 years.

Now, I will say that my wife's Fastback does have FI on it.  When we first
got that car, it had carbs on it, and it stayed that way  for over 12 years,
before I found the bits and pieces to convert it to  FI. It does have an
issue with idle speed, but part of that is due to  having an AT in it, but the
carbs didn't like the AT either (didn't play nice  with it). It'll probably
stay FI for as long as we own it, although, it might  get updated to an MS
system.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction