[T3] Opposite of Terri's problem

John Jaranson jaransont3 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 18 19:34:34 PST 2013

> It runs very poorly.  I had it towed to my house after the PO mentioned that
> it had no accelleraton. That would be a good indication why.
>
> The hunt is on. Found an old one for 9 bicks on fleabay and a new one there
> as well for 50. Do these fail pretty easy or do they have good longevity?

I had the idle cut-off jet vibrate loose on my possessed left carb on Sophy on the way back from the Colorado Springs Invasion.  It did not fall all the way out, but it did make for poor running.  Big air-leak on that carb.

This is the same idle cut-off jet that the solenoid failed on on the way back from the Parma Invasion.  Fortunately Russ Wolfe was with us and after we found the problem, he simple snipped off the electromagnetic plunger part with some side cutters and we reinstalled the new static idle jet.   This was way back in 2002.  Still running that same jet in the car.

BTW, if it was the access plug in the bottom of the float bolt that was missing you would definitely know it.  I had the one in that same possessed left carb fall out on the way to Parma for the first Invasion. It happened in the middle of the idaho desert at 75 mph after driving for a couple of hours with it being 90+ degrees outside.  It started running on 2 cylinders and by the time I slowed quickly to a stop there was gasoline just pouring off that side of the engine, down over the hot engine and exhaust.  How Sophy didn't burst into flames is beyond me.  The crazy part is that the brass plug simple landed on the engine tin over teh #3 cylinder and sat there.  After gathering my composure, I simple threaded it back and tightened it down and we were off again.

Later,
John Jaranson
www.carartbyjohn.com