[T3] Oil weight once more

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Wed Nov 20 13:22:11 PST 2013

Yea, I should have checked the heads.
I suspect dirt coming loose is what lunched the last engine in the Sqaure,
It didn't have full flow and it lunched FAST with the Synth in it but that
was Amzoil, a different kind of Synth.  The only reason I put the Brad Penn
in the Notch was because it had full flow.

I did try Dino in the T4 engine, and I had head temp sensor on that.  With
that application the head temp didn't change and the oil temp MAYBE went
down 5 degree's with the Dino but basically, it was about the same for both
oils.  That's T4 though, and its cooling systems are very different than the
T3.

Keith

This is an interesting question. Hotter oil could be the result of
several possible causes: better heat removal from the heads, poorer
heat delivery to the oil cooler, and/or greater friction losses in
the engine. The latter seems unlikely, but what if the synthetic
caused some dirt to come loose somewhere and clog up part of the oil
cooler?

Berg has a comment somewhere that he doesn't like the synthetics
because they don't transfer heat well. I'm skeptical of that, but I'd
like to see specific heat numbers on it to be convinced.

Brian is right about the head temps. That's where the answer lies.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org