[T3] Automatic Transmission Options

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sun Nov 24 20:02:08 PST 2013

In a message dated 11/24/2013 10:38:02 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org writes:

Just out of curiosity what is the different between a T-3 auto and  the ones
they put in T-2s and T4s.  I remember hearing the T-2s are  geared lower
just
wondering what else.

It's mostly the final drive gear ratios that are different. But it's also
the size of the CV joints too (they're larger). Add in that buses and type 4
 cars used a "mid mount" for the trans (hangs from the body), just makes
the  shape of the differential housing look different. We did some searching
on the  Samba earlier this year (there's a thread hiding on there), on the
differences  in torque converters between the 3 models, and found they are
very similar and  "flash" at around 2200 rpm +-50 rpm. Depending on the model,
it can "flash"  about 100 rpm more, or less. That' s it. The "flash" term
means when it starts  to engage, in case you're wondering. The discussion
started, as someone was  looking for a higher "flash" TQ from a bus, for their
T-3, and everyone went  digging only to find out, a bus didn't "flash" at
2800 like was thought (like  the OP was told), but at a much lower rpm. I hope
this helps.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction