[T3] Automatic Transmission Options

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Sun Nov 24 19:37:55 PST 2013

> What other automatic transmissions are options for replacement? I know
> that there must me some type 2 and type 4 transmissions that are
> available that might be an option for replacement. Is the 010 an
> option?

I don't think there are any other options. You need a Type 3 AT, and you
want to avoid the very early ones that have 5-bolt flanges around the 2
output drive shaft flanges. They are out there. Someone here may have one,
but I don't.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

Just out of curiosity what is the different between a T-3 auto and the ones
they put in T-2s and T4s.  I remember hearing the T-2s are geared lower just
wondering what else.  My boys and I have been kicking around getting an auto
square someday.  The 69 Fastback I use to have done this same thing but the
only damage was it bumped the cap off the governor and messed up the o ring
on that cap.  Torqued back up the axel put a new o ring on the cap and
replaced the fluid it lost and she was good to go.  Guess I got lucky on
that deal I guess.

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI, MT
Rainsville, AL