[T3] Clutch fork!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Nov 29 20:50:18 PST 2013

On 29 Nov 2013 at 17:21, Robert Klein wrote:

> I have had 2 clutch forks break on me in less then 4000 miles. I don't
> need to keep replacing these things it's a pain in the rear! I'm sure
> I have a stronger then stock clutch but it isn't that are to push the
> peddle. Any ideas of why this would keep happening?

It's been a long time since I've had to look at one of these, but
ISTR that the replacements I bought in the past came with nice little
tack welds on the WRONG side of the fork arms. The extra strength is
needed on the side that faces the flywheel, as that's the side that's
under tension when you depress the clutch pedal. The other side,
where the arms come with the extra welds, is under compression, so
the welds don't contribute anything.

When I installed one of these replacement shafts, I had a nice weld
added to the tension side of each arm. I've never had a problem with
this, but then again, I've only had stock pressure plates.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org