[T3] Distributor ailments...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Oct 3 22:04:57 PDT 2013

On 3 Oct 2013 at 17:48, J. Jonik wrote:

> Re:  73 T-3 engine, FI, Standard...

>  Lucky, just a look into distributor found that the little cup tab
> that holds the little ball against the plate was gone, as was the
> little ball.  The tab was broken...and it and the ball were inside the
> distributor....and previously bouncing around doing who knows wyat
> electrical mis-connections.

This is odd. I've never seen that part break.

> Question is:   Could points and Rotor have been somehow electrically
> compromised by that broken tab part, and the little ball, bouncing
> around in the distributor for a mile or so?  Maybe trigger contacts
> too?

I don't see how this could cause a problem unless the parts got down
into the bottom of the distributor and shorted out one of the trigger
point contacts. I don't know if this could cause a problem, but it
seems possible. OTOH, if it caused an electrical problem, it would
either be temporary, until you removed the short, or it would cause
permanent damage to the brain.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org