[T3] Guess the year

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Oct 6 08:09:41 PDT 2013

On 6 Oct 2013 at 16:55, Edward Morton wrote:

> That is what's on the rego papers but the door lock, bumpers and slim
> line indicators didn't help assure me of that. So I tried to decode
> the classy and I got a 63-64 I'm not sure where it was imported from
> but it is a right hand drive

Up thru '64 the VIN had 6 digits. That changed to 8 digits in '65 and
9 digits in '70. The first VIN you gave had 7 digits, which isn't
possible, so my guess is that there's one digit missing, making this
a '66 VIN.

Starting in '66 the third digit of the VIN is the year, so the 2
numbers you gave appear to be from '66 and '67. For more info, see
this writeup, which talks about both engine numbers and VINs:

http://vwtype3.org/info-serial-numbers.txt

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org