[T3] Guess the year

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sun Oct 6 09:47:18 PDT 2013

I understand Type 3s were produced in Australia, apart from at the beginning
and end of the model when they were assembled from completely-knocked-down
(CKD) kits which would have already been allocated chassis numbers.  I
wonder if the Australian chassis numbers are different.  Someone can
probably confirm or deny that.  Also, having two different numbers is a bit
of a puzzle.
I'm inclined to believe it may be a composite car - floorpan from one and
body from another - and an enthusiast-built convertible.  There are some
nice-looking examples, but they tend to be too flexible.  I remember a
Fastback conversion, which looked very smart, but with the hood folded on
the rear shelf lacked rear vision.

I know South Africa also assembled kits, and I believe Nigeria (old name)
did also - certainly they asembled Beetles from CKD kits.  I believe
Malaysia and Japan imported them rather than assembling them, plus many
other countries.  All these would be in RHD configuration.

Perhaps this car is an Australian-produced one.  What does your
documentation say about its origin?

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club