[T3] Trigger Contacts...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Oct 8 18:20:44 PDT 2013

On 8 Oct 2013 at 16:34, J. Jonik wrote:

> Re: T3 FI 73 Engine   Std. shift.
>
> Since this was an on-going malfunction of some kind, could it be that
> Trigger Contacts have been on the way out for a while?   What do
> trigger contacts do anyway?  If experiencing hesitation, and some
> lurching, and non-smooth engine running....are trigger contacts the
> first place to look for trouble?

It's not the first thing I'd suspect, but worn trigger points can
certainly cause this kind of problem. It's possible that the broken
parts got in there and bent something slightly that pushed them just
over the threshold from working to non-working.

These points tell the brain when to fire the injectors. As the
rubbing block wears, the point gap gets smaller and smaller until one
or both just barely opens. If it doesn't open, that pair of injectors
will not fire, and if that pair doesn't fire, the other pair may be
inhibited from firing. (I'm not sure about that part, but it's
certainly true when the points fail to close, as when they get a bit
of dirt in them.)

Unless they are VERY worn, I can adjust them back to the orig specs.
The cost is a very minimal $5, plus shipping. If you have several you
want me to do at the same time I can do it for less per set.

If you want me to look at them, hold off until early Nov, when I'll
be back in town.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org