[T3] Trigger Contacts...

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 8 16:34:39 PDT 2013

Re: T3 FI 73 Engine   Std. shift.

Car's been running badly for a while...hesitation...irregular acceleration...need to rev to change gears effectively....etc.    Then in the last week, it finally died....with immediate problem solved quickly by finding that the little cupped tab that holds the little metal ball on the distributor breaker plates broke.
 Replacing that (and removing the broken bit of metal) got the car going...but not smoothly. Still some lurching and hesitation etc.

Today, guessing that Maybe the loose broken bit of that ball-holding tab wandering around in the distributor might have messed with the Trigger Contacts, I replaced trigger contacts. Now car works as it should.
  I didn't do (don't know how to do...yet) any technical tests on trigger contacts, I just guessed, replaced with nicest-looking spare, and it worked.

Question is....could that little piece of metal loose in the distributor have electronically damaged trigger contacts? The contacts etc look intact..no damage obvious.

Since this was an on-going malfunction of some kind, could it be that Trigger Contacts have been on the way out for a while?   What do trigger contacts do anyway?
  If experiencing hesitation, and some lurching, and non-smooth engine running....are trigger contacts the first place to look for trouble?