[T3] Caliper bolt locking plate

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Oct 10 06:46:07 PDT 2013

On 10 Oct 2013 at 10:00, Dave Hall wrote:

> That's very possible!  It's the only other area where there's much to
> simplify. I don't think the early water-cooled cars had those paired
> washers, and the inner joint on our Polo was the same Type 1/Type 3 joint.
> Whatever, the blue locktite route sounds right for the calipers.

The washers I'm talking about are the little round ribbed ones, that
came under the heads of each CV joint bolt. Under those round washers
came the elongated washers that spanned 2 bolts. VW eliminated the
round washers at some point and said to replace the bolts with
similar bolts that were 1 mm shorter. The long double-hole washers
were retained.

I've never seen the replacement bolts, so I don't know if they had
ribs under the heads or not. The only thing I know about this is what
I've read in the Bentley.

I always just reuse the OE bolts and both types of washers.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org