[T3] Clementine

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Tue Oct 22 10:04:25 PDT 2013

I feel your pain, Dennis. Not a big C & W fan here, either.

The most common problem with our radios is actually in the antenna.
Unplug the antenna lead from the radio and check to make sure you still have
continuity from the center conductor to the whip and from the outer
conductor to the body of the car. The latter is often missing and that
ground conductor is important.

If the antenna is new, you may need to move it around or tighten it up to
let it scratch thru the paint. If it's old, corrosion may have taken its
toll on the shield braid, or it could also still be insulated by the paint.

I like to install antennas with a hefty amount of grease, so scratching the
paint doesn't cause quick rusting. Grease on the antenna threads will also
help you service it next time you want to.
Otherwise, they corrode into a solid mass that must be broken to do anything
with it.

And, good luck with the auction.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

It a new antenna with new paint under it so I'll try the grease.

Dennis