[T3] 73 SqrBack..this part (cont)

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sat Sep 7 18:09:39 PDT 2013

Ah, it's part of the column mounting plate.

Two M8 x 35mm cheese head screws go through the steering column housing
assembly in the slots and clamp the housing up.  It allows adjustment for
the steering column housing to get about 2mm clearance to the steering wheel
or the horn can sound with pressure on the wheel.  Those alloy pieces are
designed to be a bit weak to allow the column to collapse in a crash - the
expanded metal part of the column can also crush to reduce the injuries.  I
wouldn't like to have to experience it though!

Most people who've taken a later Type 3 apart will have those if they didn't
throw them away.

They are part of no. 43 on the diagram here:-
http://home.clara.net/hallvw/type3/T3pbo/T3pb4-16.htm

Part 113 415 635 for '68 - '71 models. I'm not sure if it changed for
'72-'73 as it isn't mentioned.
Here's one on the Samba - $12 posted.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1520620

Dave